First of all let me say thank you to those who are and have been praying for my family during this disconcerting time of displacement by Hurricane Harvey.
Secondly let me say this recapping is not in chronological order and is definitely a ramble. I will try to fill in the blanks over the next few days…including highlights from my week of CI training with Deb Tucker’s Studio 180 Design. My quilting photos are on a camera and I can’t download until I get home to my computer.
I received a phone call from my husband Johnny at 4 AM Sunday morning telling me not to get on my plane as he would not be able to get out to pick me up due to flooding. He then told me we had 3-4 inches in the house and about 6 inches in my studio.
My classmates were so loving and supportive during the week as news of the fast approaching storm interrupted my focus on quilting. With my flight being canceled I wasn’t sure of the next step.
Deb, Sue, and Sarah insisted that I come home with them instead of being stuck in Iowa waiting for the Houston Hobby Airport to reopen. They live in North Carolina. Sounded reasonable not to mention extremely generous. My biggest fear was that my rambling across country would wear them out!
It made perfect sense to have the opportunity to be productive – besides, Deb had brought a quilt top she wanted me to quilt before Fall Market and if I came home with her I could use her longarm. No telling when I would be able to use mine. Sounded like a plan!! Yep. Who wouldn’t want to spend time with these ladies!
I continued to get updated on the home front. As Johnny said, we’d been wanting to get rid of things – gotta keep laughing it’s so much better than crying!
We were making good progress having left very early Sunday morning. Until we stopped for breakfast that is… something was wrong with the Tahoe. Didn’t want to go forward but would go in reverse. Called a tow truck and the Firestone folks checked it out and sent us on our merry little way. By this time it was lunch time.
🎶on the road again 🎶
As we were approaching Indianapolis things got ugly. Transmission lights came on and you could feel it slipping. We managed to stop at a gas station and there she died.
By now it was dusk. One tow truck took Deb and Sue along with the car to the local dealership (they were closed on Sunday) while the other towed the trailer along with Sarah and I to the hotel. Plan B was starting to get a few hickups.
Fast forward to Monday. Confirmed that the transmission needs to be replaced – which will take a couple of days.
Deb and I remained behind to wait on the repairs. After a walk over to a near by restaurant and a walk down EVERY isle in Krogers where we decided we “got our steps in” we came back to the hotel to work on some bindings for their show quilts before ordering a pizza and calling it a night.
As I mentioned I will try to catch up on the blog but for now just know that despite round 3 of Harvey’s rain tonight that I am resolved that I trust God to work all things out for my good – even a flooded studio. My family is all safe for the night and we appreciate your continued prayers.
This is Karen Overton, The Quilt Rambler on the road staying away from the rain in Houston